Ric Receives Award From Philippine Groups
By Trixie Concepcion
Dolphin Safe Tuna Monitor
International Marine Mammal Project
Earth Island Institute-Philippines
In a simple ceremony, the country’s top animal welfare and environmental organizations honored Ric O’Barry with a Plaque of Recognition.
Inspired by his work to save dolphins and marine mammals all over the world, some ten organizations in the Philippines gathered together in a lunch ceremony to present Ric with the award.
Groups presenting the award included the Philippine Animal Welfare Society (PAWS), Save Philippine Seas (SPS), CARA Welfare Philippines, Marine Wildlife Watch of the Philippines (MWWP), Wild Bird Club of the Philippines (WBCP), Dolphins Love Freedom Network (DLFN), Animal Kingdom Foundation (AKF), Bangon Kalikasan Movement (BKM), Save Freedom Island Movement (SFIM), and Earth Island Institute-Philippines.
Since the release of The Cove movie in 2009, Filipinos have become aware of the dolphin killings in Japan and its relationship to dolphin captivity in the Philippines. All the groups that presented the award are EII’s current network and supporters in its anti-dolphin captivity campaign in the Philippines.
Ric was surprised with the award and was glad he had met these different groups in the Philippines. The local groups are really very important, he says, as they are the ones which really makes things happen on the ground.
- An Angel in Hell
- Free the Sea concert with NERVO
- California Legislation to Ban Orca Captivity
- Thanks to Our Auction Donors!
- Kiss the Sky Orca Freedom Concert
- Malibu Proclamation Says Dolphins Deserve Rights to Freedom and Life
- SeaWorld’s Pathetic Open Letter
- Taiji Striped Dolphin Family Devastated
- Arielle the Singer Songwriter Dolphin Activist
- Dolphin Hunt in Solomon Islands