Stop the Captures; Free the Dolphins
We have all heard of those traveling circuses that transport their captive animals from city to city, forcing them to perform in an endless cycle of depressing servitude.
What you probably haven’t heard of is dolphins being featured as the main act.
As hard as it is to believe, dolphin traveling circuses are a big hit in Indonesia. There are three separate companies running these inhumane operations, much to the delight of the uninformed spectators who pay pennies each to see the dolphins perform. There are 72 dolphins currently enslaved in Indonesia illegally, many of which are in captivity in these three traveling circuses.
We continue working closely with the Jakarta Animal Aid Network (JAAN) to lobby the Indonesian government to release the dolphins, many of whom were illegally poached from their ocean homes. JAAN and Earth Island’s Dolphin Project have constructed a sea pen, where the dolphins would be rehabilitated and released back to the wild.
However, the government has not issued promised permits to JAAN and Earth Island’s Dolphin Project for these illegal dolphins, despite a previous agreement to turn over these abused animals. Read more about the ongoing situation here. JAAN and Earth Island are pursuing legal efforts and media attention to put pressure on the government to take action.
You can help. Urge the President of Indonesia to provide the captive dolphins to Jakarta Animal Aid Network and Earth Island Institute, which are the ONLY organizations in Indonesia with the expertise, equipment, facilities and proven ability to care for, rehabilitate, and release captive dolphins back into the wild.
TAKE ACTION NOW:
• Call, FAX or E-mail the Indonesian Embassy in Washington DC:
The Hon. Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, President
Embassy of the Republic of Indonesia
Tel (202) 775 5200
Fax (202) 775 5365
• Contact E-mail Form: http://www.embassyofindonesia.org/contactform/contact-form.php
• Watch this video on the Indonesia Circus with Dolphins. Click HERE
• Indonesia Forestry Ministry Stalls Release; Read the Jakarta Globe article HERE
- Take the Pledge Not to Buy a Ticket to a Dolphin Show
- Make Zoos and Aquariums Clean Up Their Acts
- Stop the Dolphin Trade from the Solomon Islands
- Japan Campaign
- Indonesia Campaign
- Frequently Asked Questions
- What Are the Alternatives?
- DANGER: Dolphin Meat is Poisoned by Mercury
- Dolphin Personhood
- Orcas and Dolphins Do Not Belong in Captivity!
- Free Angel
- Preguntas Frecuentes
- Stop the Slaughter Petition